Thursday 7 May 2020

Week Seven: I'm Zooming

Its funny how quickly the new normal kicks in. Last week I had several Video conferences via Zoom and a few weeks ago I had never heard of it. Skype calls just seem so yesterday as we get one click access to all our contacts. Other formats are of course available and I was invited to another meeting with Motorsport magazine via Microsoft Teams last Thursday before later catching up with a couple of the Brooklands Team for a chat and a Zoom Garage Tour.  Who would thought 10 weeks ago that virtual garage tours were even a thing?


 

A Real Racer at work

We will get straight into the films this week with a non-bike related item. This is a car race from the USA which I have picked as it demonstrates a real racer at work. The captions also give an insight into what’s going on in the drivers head. There is a crash at the beginning, but otherwise no drama, just pure race craft, driving skill and of course a decent reliable engine under the bonnet.

 

New Years Day Meet 2010

Here are some images from the New Years Day event. Its become very popular over the last few years, but in 2010 I was still recovering from a late night, so people were beginning to head for home.

New Years Day at Brooklands 2010


The 2010 Spring Gathering

Back to Brooklands and the year is 2010 and another hugely successful event is the Spring Gathering. Watch and enjoy as the early morning mist rises over the museum to reveal some amazing bikes including a few visitors from The National Motorcycle Museum. The NMM Grindley would not start and the word was it was just put away after the Brookland’s run the previous year and turned up without any preparation. There is one thing we have all been taught at the museum. Don’t disappoint the spectators (or the rider!) always make sure the bike is prepared.


 

Double Twelve 2010

In June it was the Double Twelve and I took my Sunbeam out for a run to the museum to be included on the BTM (now Brooklands Member’s) Outreach stand.

The 1935  Model 16 Sunbeam on the Outreach stand

JP lotus Display, Just like the pits back in the day. "Bugger wheres that nut".



The 1935 Sunbeam in front of the Brooklands Memorial

This is a film I made of the action from the 2010 Brooklands Double Twelve.


Goodwood Festival of Speed 2010

I have to admit that my trip to FOS in 2010 was driven by my love of F1 racing rather than bikes but I was able to capture a few bike images. I was also able to capture the moment when Adrian Newey  was presented with his very own RB 5 to play with. Just listen to the Williams as it warms up and hits the track. 

Mr Newey Receives his RB5 car
Adrian Newey is presented with his own RB5 in front of the Press at 2010 FOS


I made this short film of a young Sam Bird preparing for his run. This was a big deal at the time as it was Williams current car. The run was permitted under FIA Regs as one of their designated a camera (filming) runs.

I still own the F1atHome.com Domain, which is now very appropriate during the lock-down as eSports races are really taking off! 




Goodwood FOS 2010


Goodwood Revival 2010

I was back at Goodwood in September for my first visit to the revival. I saw Stirling Moss in what I think was the last race before the accident at his London flat when he fell into the lift shaft. 

Stirling Moss in what I suspect was his last Race at Goodwood 2010

Stirling Moss still wearing his period crash Helmet at Goodwood in 2010

Also at this meeting was a John Surtees Tribute Parade. I never used this footage as I was constantly diverted by the Hurricanes and Spitfires doing a display overhead. I have now managed to separate them. I hope you enjoy.


I also have a picture of me next to a Rudge on display opposite the pits. I noticed today that asleep in the background is vintage racer Ian Bain. He is someone who will continue to pop up now and again in this blog either racing or with his vintage sand-racer Brough at Brooklands.

Pictured with a Rudge at 2010 Goodwood Revival & Ian Bain Grabbing 40 winks behind

 

VIRTUAL VE Day

We will be having our very own Virtual VE Day at home tomorrow with the AJS on show in the driveway. We get quite a few walkers past the front these days so I hope it will provide a bit of a distraction. Pictures Next Week.


No comments:

Post a Comment