Thursday 28 May 2020

Week Ten: How's Life in Your Sector



Thought for the Week

Those of us who grew up in the 1960’s were spared the anxiety of wartime, but we did face the Cold War and the ever present threat of vaporisation. However, we were OK as we had the knowledge to build a shelter under the Dining-room table.....But hang on a moment that seemed to give even less protection than my Dad had in his WW2 Anderson Shelter!
The world has moved on  to a new Century and just when I thought its safe to go outside we have been faced with an invisible viral enemy and a Lockdown. 

Take a look at this somewhat prophetic post-apocalyptic sketch from Mitchell and Web notice anything familiar?




Whats Next

With the weather getting better, thoughts of getting back to Brooklands are ever present. However, the Museum remains closed and there are not likely to be any events for some time yet. 

So, its time to start thinking about what a virtual Motorcycle Show might look like. I was grateful for the quick turn-round of comments from members of the team and there is still time to let me know your ideas and I am particularly keen to learn of any people that could contribute a video guide to their bike or even just a message of support. My latest advice is that it would be possible to live stream the event for real-time interaction with viewers via social media and this could also be viewed after the event. I will try and have a Publicity Trailer that people can share for next week or week of 11 June.

2013 At Brooklands

By the state of my hard-drive, 2013 seemed to be a busy year. I seemed to be catching anything that moved.

I have picked out the Christmas Dinner Roundup film and a teaser film of Ton Up Day. I think I will save the full 13 minute version with footage of every bike fired up on the “Sound Stage” for the Virtual Event.

Montlhery

I also have some images and a bit of film from what I believe is the 2013 trip to Montlhery which features John Bottomley on the Wicksteed Triumph.





The theme for the rest of this weeks blog is bike building.

Zenith Bradshaw 2013

The following film was put together with clips of The Zenith Bradshaw recorded on a beautiful November morning at the Museum.  



Allen Millyard

Just about the last event I attended before the Lockdown was a talk given to the Brooklands VMCC Section by Allen Millyard. He talked us through the build of his Japanese Multi-cylinder projects and ended with his Vellocette V twin. Over the next few weeks I will post his films of his latest multi-cylinder Kawasaki Z1 Super Six project. I just love his laid back can do attitude. It almost got me thinking it was easy!

Part 1 The Crankshaft


Part 2  Sprocket Cover and Crankcase modifications



Board Track Racer Build

Now this is what I would love to be doing during lockdown. Its good to see that there is a wealth of young talented people out there to keep motorcycling history alive. However, I am not sure if there will be any fuel to run them!



Manufacturing a pioneer Rover imperial motorcycle (Silent)

This is a wonderful film. I could watch it over and over. It shows the building of the bike from sand casting the cylinder right through to assembly and test ride.




Running a 1912 Excelsior Engine



Next week: More from 2013 at Brooklands and Allen Millyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment