Thursday 30 April 2020

Week Six: And the fuel is already going stale.


Last week we got sentenced to another three weeks for good behaviour and I experienced our car failing to start for its weekly shopping trip. Having had a look at it and I mean look, as I don’t understand modern engines, I think the fuel had evaporated in the line. When I had more time I managed to get it going and the exhaust smell was more like an engine left for seven years than days. It was that tell-tale old fuel smell. So maybe its time to exercise those engines more regularly now the weather is warming up.


My only question about this clip is WHY!



AJS

Well as you saw last week it looks done but the tank is still a bit of a state inside, so it will get another treatment. I also seem to have lost the rear brake rod. I must have put it somewhere safe! The front brake cable needs replacing, and it looks as if Venhill in Dorking are still operating. I have been looking for replacements online but can’t find anything suitable. I tend to avoid making brake cables but am ok on the others. It is now ready to take its place in the Virtual VE Day commemorations next Friday.

Moving to my Brooklands related archives, we stay with 2009 this week.

Test Hill Centenary


The first of these films is a short compilation of runs I made from the centenary of the opening of Brooklands Test Hill held on 22 March 2009. The following images were also taken at the event. Who can ever forget seeing Chris Williams take to the hill in that fire breathing Bentley. During the lunch break there were also other events such as the army cadets pulling an aircraft tyre up the hill.











The second film is uncut (just under 10 min) and exclusively motorcycles. Roger, John Duncan and Michael take part in the action. There is a shot of Dick Standing and his son in the pits and the main reason I kept it uncut was to soak up Michael’s excellent commentary. Also watch out for two Grindleys up the hill in tandem and Jerry Lark (The Morgan Owner) on a new imperial shedding his chain at the bottom of Test Hill.




James May Scalextric World Record

You may remember James May’s Series Toy Stories where James would challenge Sim Oakley to a series of seemingly impossible tasks relating to childhood favourites of days gone by. In August 2009 the challenge was to hold a race on a Scalextric track around the Brooklands outer circuit and in doing so set a world record. 

It did rather meet the description of impossible, but after what was portrayed in the programme as a bit of messing about in one of the empty offices in the Heights an army of volunteers began to build the track. And yes I was there with the help of my wife to capture this event from start to finish. I am particularly pleased with this film as it documents the whole event. It was an exhausting time running round the whole course. I was helped by the fact that the producers had provided about three sets of cars plus some section teams had their own test cars. Watch out for the mini cameras mounted on some of the Scalextric cars.

For maximum impact I went home and edited the film uploading it at 3am the following morning.  By 18 August It was No 14 in the Youtube charts and No 91 for the week. On 23 August it had climbed to No 7 in the news charts only beaten by Sky News items and was No 48 for the month of August 2009 with 30,000 views a mere sip of the cup of virtual fame! The following film has now had over 51,600 views. It turns out people round the world just love a Scalextric World Record.

Perry is now asking himself "why does it now take so long for Martin to edit films." The answer is of course that PB provides so much quality content I just don’t know where to begin!







Wings and Wheels

2009 continued to be a busy year for me and I was also at Dunsfold for Wings and Wheels. The track was just too far away to get any good shots. This was my one and only trip to the event, but watch out for our very own Geoff Brandon flying down the track on his Ariel.





Below there is also an outtake clip I got of a towed aerobatic glider braking a tow rope. A nice bit of work by the pilot to regain control and land safely. I thought this one might also go viral but not dramatic enough I guess.






Next week: We move onto 2010 and another epic motorcycle event at Brooklands and get ready to commemorate Virtual VE Day. I am also missing the weekly Quiz so I will have a go at adding one for the next few weeks. STAY SAFE.




No comments:

Post a Comment