Thursday 2 April 2020

Week Two: Its Life Jim, but not as we know it.



Introduction (Thought for the week)

Well its week two of the Lockdown, a term that in a former life I would not be using. However, it does succinctly describe our position. There are few times in life that you share the same situation as so many others. This is after all a global phenomenon, and speaking to my mate in Norway yesterday we were pondering (we have always done a lot of pondering!) on what life would have been like if this had occurred a few years previously. 

We were having a conversation whilst he was driving through a tunnel under Oslo Town Hall, that iconic home of the Nobel Prize Giving Ceremony, whereas not many years ago we were keeping in touch via letter, then tape was followed by email. Not long after we kept in touch via Yahoo messenger and then Skype. Today we have so many options to keep in touch, which lessens the stress of confinement. I keep imagining the next call or email I get will be headed **EXERCISE EXERCISE** which is the term used when testing scenarios in my previous life! But this is for real and I have every confidence in all those in public service to keep us safe and get the country up and running as soon as possible.

In the meantime; its life, but not as we know it!







26 March to 3 April

Since Mark’s great idea for keeping in touch each Thursday I have been back over my Brooklands images for the last 10 years and after seeing Gareth’s blog realised that Blogger would be a good channel to publish some of those older films of events gone by. I hope they will provide a bit of nostalgia to those who were there and provide a new experience for those who are newer to the group. This week there will just be a few pictures, but by next week I should have some films of events starting with the Centenary event (2007) before I was a member of the team followed by Centenary of Test Hill opening, Brooklands revival as well as those days in the play pen.

During the last week I have spent most of my time writing articles for the next Brooklands Bulletin and so not much time spent in the Workshop. After finishing this (Tuesday) I will be back there doing a tidy up to prepare more space for the AJS Project.

Other Channels are Available

Wearing my Members Committee hat I have been in touch with John Bottomley and Mark Jarman of Brooklands MembersTV who have reminded me that there is also a wonderful archive via the BrooklandsTV website.  This has events as well as many Members talks which are also on Vimeo and YouTube. Do you have any films to share? If so contact Mark Jarman on this link. Alternatively if you have any photos Email them on the Thursday circulation.

Pictures of the week from 2008

The Cotton JAP before Restoration


Cotton JAP engine detail


The Wicksteed Triumph before restoration

The Triumph Ricardo, The first bike I worked on


As a teaser I will leave you with a little film I made in 2010. I made it by attaching a camera to my push-bike and riding round the lower banking between Brooklands Drive and the river then on the old airfield access road. I then processed it and added the soundtrack of my 1935 Sunbeam. The intention was to do as much as I could of the track, but I am still recovering from the effort of keeping the bike up on this low banking!


Watch and enjoy:





I also found this film from 1998 of a VMCC event. No doubt some of you will be able to provide more information about this event.



Other Items of Interest
On 25 March 2020 The government carried out an automatic extension for  MOTs of Cars Vans and Motorcycles to bring them in line with Lorries. See more on Gov.UK website
Catch up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment